This is a tasty, easy, low-fat and even healthy dip, spread or filling. What you choose to use it for is up to you. I think it's great spread on tortillas and filled w/ veggies for a great snack or lunch. Great for dipping pita wedges, tortilla chips, crackers or veggies. Also lovely for a sandwich spread with or without meat! You can spice it more if you like things hot or tone it down a little if you don't like big flavor. Myself, I like things with a kick! Here's my moderate spice version.
Black Bean Hummus
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed and reserving 2 tablespoons bean liquid
- 3 cloves garlic (I really like garlic!)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chipotle pepper or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (the chipotle gives it a smokey flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Place all ingredients except the bean liquid and paprika in the food processor, blend until smooth. Use the bean liquid if needed to thin the consistency if needed. Garnish with the paprika and a few extra cilantro leaves if desired.
You may use it right away, or let it chill for a few hours. It's even better the next day.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!