Once you know how to make rice, you have the start of an easy and excellent meal. You can stir fry some veggies to go with it, add some meat if you like and there you have it. Or serve it under your favorite chicken and mushroom sauce. The possibilities for rice are endless.
Whether it's long grain or short grain, Jasmine or Basmati, just about any white rice will turn our great with these few easy steps. Always use a two to one ratio of water to rice and remember rice doubles when cooked. So one cup rice will equal two cups cooked. Also remember to add salt to your rice and water before cooking, it's your only chance to season your rice from the inside and if you don't it's going to taste flat and blah.
1 cup Rice
2 cups cold water
1 pinch of salt
1. Place rice, water and salt in 1 quart saucepan with a lid.
2. Turn heat to high and bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover with lid. Allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
3. DO NOT remove the lid at any time!
4. When 8 minutes have elapsed, remove from heat with lid still in place and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, rice is done. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and serve!
I've had someone ask about brown rice too so here's the scoop.
1 cup brown rice (long or short grain)
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 pinch of salt
Follow basic directions for white rice except let rice simmer for 20 minutes remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes minimum. You can let it sit longer just make sure it sits for 10 without lifting the lid.